Although GameMaker:Studio is a really nice piece of software, it looks rather unprofessional and depressing. The Good Old GameMaker 8(.1) layout was a lot better in my opinion – cleaner, simpler, brighter, more in the same style as other programs you would use along with it.
So, here’s a guide on making GameMaker:Studio look like GameMaker 8.1 again!
- Open Files, Preferences, and go to General.
- Change the skin: In the right column you’ll find a list of skins. Select “GM8″.
- YoYoGames Logo: if unchecked, check the box “Do not show YoYoGames Logo on main form”.
- Go to the tab Scripts and Code.
- Bold Keywords: Check the box “Enable BOLD on script keywords”.
- Download this file and remember it’s location. Click the import button and import the color settings.
- Open the sprite editor and click Edit, Transparent Background Settings. Leave the radio buttons as they are, but change Color 1 to light gray (rgb 192,192,192), and Color 2 to white.
If there’s anything I missed, feel free to leave a comment below!