Although GameMaker:Studio is a jolly good piece of software, it looks very unprofessional and depressing. The old GameMaker 8(.1) layout was a lot better in my opinion – cleaner, simpler, brighter, more in the same style as other programs you would use along with it.
Half a year ago I made a blog post called GameMaker:Studio settings you should change to make it even better. This post contained the exact kind of info you’d expect, including a way to revert the style of GM:Studio.
The post generated quite a bit of traffic, even though it was actually just a post I made to try out some CSS styles on my blog.
For those that are here just to change the style, I’ve compiled all the steps necessary in one list – here it is:
Steps necessary to revert GM:Studio’s style back to the GM8(.1) style:
Open Files > Preferences, and go to General.
- Change the skin: In the right column you’ll find a list of skins. Select “GM8″.
- YoYoGames Logo: if unchecked, check the box “Do not show YoYoGames Logo on main form”.
- Go to the tab Scripts and Code
- Bold keywords: Check the box “Enable BOLD on script keywords”
- Download this file and save it, and remember its location. Click the “Import” button and import the color settings.
That’s all, hopefully this helped you a bit!